"Z"

Sunday, April 29, 2007

attitude adjustment

So I've been realizing over the last few months that attitude is so key in one's perception of life. I was again reminded of this today. Coming home from Capernwray two years ago (hard to believe its already been that long), I struggled with the church I was attending (and continue to attend) - unsure of my place there and not just that, but other uncertainties as well that I don't feel necessary to expand upon at the moment...I had a desire to leave, but having had so many before me leave our church was held back in my decision to do so - I didn't just want to be 'another one of those people', but even moreso I didn't feel at peace about leaving. There were often times that I simply didn't feel like I was getting anything out of it and that my being there was somewhat meaningless in my not being 'fed'. In this though, I continued to remain in the congregation primarily for one reason - at Capernwray, all the students split up and went to different churches (there were 5 or 6 in the area) and we were encouraged to choose a church not based on how we were being 'fed' but in how we could serve others...this is something that I tried to carry into my own church - not saying that I'm sure I always achieved this, but nonetheless that was my desire. It helped me to feel a little more at peace about staying...a lot has happened since then...but not until a few months ago had I really felt that I was 'getting something' out of what was being taught and just out of church in general, but I'm also realizing that it has a lot to do with my attitude going into it. In the past, I would go to church on a Sunday morning anticipating not being 'fed' and I suppose, assuming the worst in some ways. But for a little while now, I have started my Sunday mornings praying before the service starts for my heart to be open and susceptible for all that the Lord has for me to learn and to be a part of and seriously, has it ever made a difference! Which leads me to believe that attitude is so paramount to how we live our lives...if we choose to have a bad attitude chances are thing are going to seem like they suck, but if we make that extra effort to change our attitude life will be seen in such a different light. It takes work sometimes, but it is so worth it in the end. Essentially, when it comes down to it, we really have no reason to have a 'bad attitude' in light of how good God is...another thing I had the chance to reflect on today is God's goodness to me - He truly is SO good...even in the struggles!

3 Comments:

Blogger agapetos said...

erie .... I wrote something on this topic on my blog a bit over a year ago, and I think a couple months ago I resurrected it! It gives my perspective on when people don't feel fed at church .... which might be interesting to you! What is most interesting, is that we've come to basically the same conclusion! Personally, I firmly believe that the devil will use absolutely whatever he can to keep the word of God from being taught and heard .... and the work of making sure the "air" is clear of his trickery needs to be taken way more seriously then it often is. If you're interested in reading my thoughts on this topic let me know and I'll try to find the date of my entry .... it was originally from I think April of 2006.

4:04 PM  
Blogger agapetos said...

March 21, 2007 I reposted it. I'm sorry I don't have a nice archive thing working on my public page .... I need to figure out how to do that, but if you click back on the "previous" button at the bottom of the page you'll end up back there .... it's a bit tedious .... sorry!

7:20 AM  
Blogger agapetos said...

ooops, I changed my blog a week or so ago, and the button is now called "older" ....

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home